Preview
Creation Date
1890
Description
The Gault House is sometimes called the Carey House, after the owner Judge James Carey. On April 1, 1885, Martin supporters in the Martin-Tolliver feud locked themselves in the house while the Toliver side were at the Cottage Hotel or Anderson's store. After the battle, the Martins abandoned the Gault House and the Tollivers took control of the town.
Photo taken circa 1890s