Dietz No. 40 Traffic Gard Lantern, circa. 1953. This model of lantern was first manufactured by the W.C. Embury Company and exclusivley sold to highway contractors and utility companies. When the Embury Company was bought out by Dietz in 1953 they continued production of the Traffic Gard which replaced multiple models already sold by the Dietz company due to its manufacturing cost and popularity.
The red tinted globe was used to signal stop or danger.
Information provided is altered from W.T. Kirkman Lanterns. https://lanternnet.com/
Date of Entry
Traffic Gard Lantern
Height with Handle Extended (inches)
History | United States History
R. E. Dietz Manufacturing Company, "Dietz No. 40 Traffic Gard Lantern" (2021). Morehead History & Railroad Museum Lantern Collection. 35.
Download Full Text (604 KB)