Download Full Text (2.4 MB)
The Geology Program has formal book, fossil, journal, map, mineral, and rock collections dating to the 1950’s. These specimens were donated by biological and physical sciences faculty prior to the 1960 hire of Dr. John Philley and greatly expanded upon by Drs. Philley, James Chaplin, Jules DuBar, and H.W. Straley III through the 1990’s. Prior to construction of the “C-wing” of Lappin Hall, the collections previously housed in laboratory classrooms in the path of the new corridor connecting the “B-wing” and “C-wing”, as well as those housed in the “A-wing” were boxed and stored in multiple temporary locations until new construction and renovation of the A-wing were completed in 1997. Some were then unboxed and placed in the new specimen archive in room 413, while others were moved to the “A-wing” attic.
Arts and Humanities | Business | Education | Engineering | Higher Education | Life Sciences | Medicine and Health Sciences | Physical Sciences and Mathematics | Social and Behavioral Sciences
Grzynkowicz, Abbie; Strait, Zachary; Terry, Miles; and O'Keefe, Jen, "Collection maintenance after maintenance lost: Making meaning from the rock pile" (2023). 2023 Celebration of Student Scholarship - Poster Presentations. 52.
Arts and Humanities Commons, Business Commons, Engineering Commons, Higher Education Commons, Life Sciences Commons, Medicine and Health Sciences Commons, Physical Sciences and Mathematics Commons, Social and Behavioral Sciences Commons